I am absolutely delighted to have won the first award for my blog! After receiving the Liebster Award, Science Fiction, Transmedia & Fandom passed it onto me! This award is normally given to bloggers by other bloggers, and I am honored to be part of this tradition. To learn more about the Liebster Award, check out this detailed WordPress post by Lorraine Reguly.
1. Post the award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
3. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Answer 10 Liebster questions given by the person who nominated you.
5. Nominate 5-10 bloggers who you feel deserve this award
6. Ask your nominees 10 questions.
7. Notify your nominees by commenting on their blogs and/or emailing them.
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I’m a sci-fi television junkie.
2. I have a 3-year-old daughter whose favorite activity is telling stories, and I think that’s just about the coolest thing ever.
3. I’m a seventh-generation Texan.
4. I have a Ph.D. in eighteenth-century literature, but when I was an undergraduate, I sold all my eighteenth-century books back because I hated them!
5. I teach college English online.
6. I grew up in a town with a college that has a rodeo major.
7. I have lived in New York City, L.A., New Orleans, and near Atlanta.
8. I love the color pink.
9. Summer is by far my favorite season.
10. I spend as much time in swimming pools as I possibly can.
11. I could eat enchiladas for every meal for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy.
My Answers to Science Fiction, Transmedia & Fandom’s 10 Questions
1. Who is your favorite author?
I hate “favorite” questions! I like too many different kinds of books to choose favorites. I tend to have lists of favorite authors according to genre and to time period. But at the moment, here are a few: I love books by Neil Gaiman, Lois McMaster Bujold, Faith Hunter, Stephen Graham Jones, Ilona Andrews, Carrie Vaughn, Richelle Mead, Rachel Vincent, Holly Black, Janny Wurts, Jennifer Estep, Rachel Caine, Patricia Briggs, Janet Evanovich . . . and those are just the ones who come to mind immediately!
2. Which books/movies/TV shows have inspired you most?
When I was in kindergarten, The Hobbit was my nightly bedtime story. By the time I was in the fourth grade, I had read all of The Lord of the Rings. I also read the entire Trixie Belden series in the fourth grade. These two series pretty much set my love of fantasy and mystery in stone!
3. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
This year, it’s having two novels accepted by different publishers in the same week!
4. If you could have a conversation with one fictional character, who would it be?
Bob Howard, the narrator of Charles Stross’s The Laundry Files series. I would love to have a sit-down with the computational demonologist who protects England (and the world!) from Lovecraftian nightmare monsters.
5. What prompted you to create your blog/website?
Initially, I started my blog to promote my first novel, Waking Up Dead. But I quickly decided that I wanted to promote other writers, too, and to write about all things word-related.
6. Which non-fiction book(s) would you recommend?
Most of the non-fiction I read is academic—recently, I’ve been reading a lot of books analyzing popular culture. I’m currently reading a couple of books with articles of mine: Nadine Farghaly’s Examining Lois Lane: The Scoop on Superman’s Sweetheart and Deborah Christie and Sarah Lauro’s Better Off Dead: The Evolution of the Zombie as Post-Human. I’m looking forward to reading Sherry Ginn’s The Worlds of Farscape and her forthcoming edited collection of essays on Dollhouse.
7. What is your favorite music genre to listen to?
I have eclectic tastes. I listen to everything from classical to country to alternative to rock to rap.
8. What is the best piece of advice you ever received?
Use active voice.
9. Which advice would you give an aspiring writer?
Keep writing new things. Always have a work in progress. Finish writing a piece, do a quick edit, and submit it somewhere for publication. Then move on to the next project. Don’t wait to hear back—that way lies madness! If it’s rejected (and often it will be; that’s the nature of writing for publication), don’t let it get you down. Just send it out again and go back to your work in progress.
10. What was the most recent TV show and/or movie you liked?
I’m currently obsessed with The Big Bang Theory. I discovered it two weeks ago and have watched all seven seasons. But I rarely watch sitcoms; I’m much more likely to watch supernatural dramas like Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, Teen Wolf . . .
Nominate 10 Bloggers
1. Melanie Karsak: http://melaniekarsak.blogspot.com/
2. Fabulosity Reads: http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/
3. Tashara Talks: http://tasharatalks.com/
4. Deborah Melanie: http://deborahmelanie.blogspot.com/
5. Refreshingly Riki: Miss Riki’s Musings: http://missriki.com/
6. KateMarie Collins: http://katemariecollins.wordpress.com/
7. Marie Lavender: http://marielavenderbooks.blogspot.com/
8. Diaries of 2 Thick Chicks: http://diariesof2thickchicks.blogspot.com/
9. Reading Until I Fall Asleep, by Bebe Knight: http://www.readinguntilifallasleep.com/
10. Nancy Wood: http://nancywood-books.com/blog.html
My 10 Questions For The Nominees
1. What prompted you to start blogging?
2. How do you decide which guests to invite to participate in your blog?
3. How do you determine which topics to write about on your blog?
4. What do you consider your most interesting trait?
5. What do you find inspirational?
6. Who are a few authors you look up to?
7. What book are you reading now?
8. What books have most influenced your life most?
9. What is the most frightening thing you have ever done?
10. What is something on your “bucket list” and why do you want to do it someday?